Facebook: Immersion Freediving
Ted Harty begin his underwater career working as a dive instructor at Tilden’s Scuba Center in 2005. He was a NAUI, PADI, and SSI Scuba Instructor. For four years, Ted taught scuba diving almost every day.
“I got a lot of experience teaching during those four years, and I believe it laid a good foundation for my career as a freediving instructor. I realized that every student learns differently, some respond well to humor, some students are visual learners, while others require regimented step-by-step instructions.”
Whenever Ted was on the boat and he didn’t have students to take care of, he would jump in with mask, fins, and snorkel.
“I’d often only have 5 minutes, but I loved being in the water without all my scuba gear. I could swim down to the sand at Sombrero Reef and hang out for a bit at 20ft. I wanted to learn how to stay down longer and dive deeper.” In January of 2008, Ted took his first PFI course.
“I couldn’t believe how little I knew about freediving. As a scuba instructor, I knew more about diving physics and physiology than the average Joe, but I knew nothing about freediving safety. After four days I went from a 2:15 breath hold to a 5:15 breath hold. I was hooked! After that course, I became obsessed with freediving. I took the Instructor course in 2009 and started working for PFI. I was lucky enough to travel around with Kirk and Mandy teaching tons of courses with them while gaining invaluable experience.”
Ted teaches classes year round in Fort Lauderdale through his company Immersion Freediving. He has a maximum of five people per class, and he runs the courses on his private boat. He hires Coast Guard captains and has First Aid and 02 at the ready- all of the safety and comfort of a hired boat but with none of the hassle and crowds.
Noticeable freediving accomplishments:
• 1st place finish PFI Competition Breathless 2009
• 1st place finish PFI Competition Deja Blue 2011
• Broke longest standing USA Freediving record during 2011 Freediving World Championships in Italy, with a Dynamic Apnea swim of 170m
• Trained with William Trubridge and Sara Cambell in 2012
• Selected to be Captain of the 2012 USA Freediving Team during World Championships
• Constant weight dive of 85m (279ft) in 2012
• Trained with Goran Colak in 2014
• 1st place finish PFI Competition Deja Blue 2014