Breath Hold Surf Survival
Some of the topics covered in the PFI Breath Hold Surf Survival program are:
• Safety & Problem Management for big surf or hazardous water conditions
• Breath-hold Concepts and Physiology
• Breath-hold Training (Apnea)
• Breath-hold Stress Training (Hazardous water condition simulations)
• Gearless Underwater Propulsion Techniques
• Psychology of Stress
• Breath-hold Training Programs
IS THIS COURSE FOR YOU?
• You practice, or are interested in, aquatic activities that take place in hazardous water conditions (big surf, strong currents, rapids, waterfalls, etc.)
• You’re interested in learning the risks, safety, and problem management correlated with breath-holding
• You’d like to learn to hold your breath between 2-5 minutes!
• You’d like to learn to hold your breath comfortably with only seconds to prepare
• You’re not sure of extended breath-holding physiology or the physics that affect you when you’re underwater and want to know the details
• You want to become more comfortable at depth
• You want to be more comfortable in a wave or hydraulic hold-down situation
• You’re in good health and fitness—check the PFI Medical Form
Download and review the PFI medical form. If you say YES to any questions you need to get doctors approval to take part in the course. Email email@example.com if you have any questions about the medical form.
FORMAT / DURATION – 4-DAYS
This course is taught by highly trained PFI Instructors at locations all over the world. The PFI Breath Hold Surf Survival course includes:
• Classroom Sessions
• 2-3 Confined-Water sessions (dependent on location)
• 2-3 Open-Water sessions (dependent on location)
The schedule and layout/order of these sessions varies slightly by location. The program is typically run over 4 days. Click the link on any particular course to find out exact schedule for that program.
• You’re comfortable in the ocean
• You’re able to swim 400 yards with only a swimsuit and goggles
• You are able to tread water for 5 minutes
• Good health and fitness—check the PFI Medical Form
• 16 years of age with guardian permission
WHAT TO BRING
For this course, each student is responsible for bringing his or her own equipment
• Mask & Snorkel
• Full Wetsuit (3mm for warm-water locations; 5-7mm for cold-water locations)
PFI Breath Hold Surf Survival course prices vary by location and instructor, but start at $745. The tuition price covers the following:
• Personalized instruction from highly trained apnea specialists, national & world record holders and/or trainers
• 1 Instructor/Assistant : 6 student divers ratio (in-water)
• PFI Issued Student Manual
• Classroom Sessions with detailed knowledge development taught by freediving experts
• Confined-Water Sessions
• Open-Water Sessions
• Hands-on experience with specialty freediving equipment
• PFI T-Shirt—varies with instructor
• Certification card
If a boat is required for Open-Water sessions at your location, a Boat Fee may be applied in addition to the course tuition. This fee, if applicable, will be described on specific course-location pages.
See our upcoming courses page for more information on when and where courses are happening. You can also contact a PFI Instructor directly if you don’t see a course that fits your schedule. Not all programs are posted on this website.
REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT DETAILS
To secure your spot in a course, we need to receive your registration and either a 50% deposit or full payment. Any outstanding course balance is due by the start of the course. See our course schedule to register.