ADVANCED & SAFETY FREEDIVER
Learn to freedive down to a maximum depth of 60m/197 feet!
The PFI Advanced & Safety Freediver course instructs competent and comfortable freedivers who have successfully achieved the PFI Intermediate Freediver certification. The course teaches advanced safety and problem management with an emphasis on advanced and competitive freediving techniques, training, and equipment for dives as deep as 60m/197 feet. Divers will also learn how to develop training programs to better their own physical and mental performance for deep freediving.
- Safety and Buddy Procedures for Advanced Freediving
- Equipment for Advanced Freediving & Competitions
- Psychological Aspects of Advanced Freediving & Competitive Freediving
- Land & Confined-Water Training and Evaluation Programs
- Freediving Competition Standards & Procedures
- Advanced Static Apnea
- Advanced Dynamic Apnea (depending on location)
- Open Water Constant Ballast Development & Training (60m maximum depth)
IS THIS COURSE FOR YOU?
- You’re an experienced comfortable freediver and have completed the PFI Intermediate Freediver course
- You’ve completed an Intermediate Freediver level course with another recognized agency PLUS have completed the PFI Freediver Crossover Exam
- You’re interested in a program with a high level of focus on technique development and open water constant ballast training
- You want to learn advanced level training programs and have a desire to train in a safe, and highly supervised, environment
- You’re interested in freediving competition strategies and procedures that help you become a proficient freediver/competitor
If so, this is the course for you!
Download and review the PFI medical form. If you say YES to any questions, you need to get a doctor's approval to take part in the course. Email email@example.com if you have any questions about the medical form.
For this course, please have current DAN (Divers Alert Network) Dive Accident Insurance. If you do not have it already, you can sign up for it on their website at: www.diversalertnetwork.org
There are many skills which will be practiced repeatedly, simulated, and taught throughout the duration of every course. It should be noted that in order to pass course, a student must complete all the classroom sessions as well as the pool and ocean sessions. In accordance with participation, a student will receive a certificate based on the skills and objectives they complete, even if it is lower than the course they are currently taking. There are both pool and ocean qualifications to pass each PFI course. If a student only wants to pass the pool section, the instructors at PFI are happy to accommodate but will need to be informed before the class begins.
By the end of the Advanced Freediver course a student will be able to perform:
- Working in a safety team
- Adequate safe buddy skills, performing a rescue to PFI standards
- Prepare gear without help of instructor
- Perform a 4:00 static in the pool with opportunity to increase to maximum capacity
- Dive with proper technique to 40m/132 ft constant weight and free immersion using PFI method of entrance and exit with proper recovery breathing
- If only receiving pool certification, must complete 75 meter dynamic plus the 4:00 static
Watermanship & Stamina
FORMAT / DURATION – 6 DAYS
PFI Advanced Freediver is held over 6 days and includes:
- 6 dryland training and classroom sessions
- 4 pool sessions
- 5 open water sessions
The schedule and layout/order of these sessions vary slightly by location. The program is typically run over 6 days. Click the link on any particular course to find the exact schedule for that program.
- PFI Intermediate Freediver certification
- You’re comfortable with intermediate level freediving depths, anywhere from 25–40m/82–132 ft
- You have a static breath-hold time of three minutes or longer
- Good health and fitness—check the PFI Medical Form
- 16 years of age with guardian permission
WHAT TO BRING: Basic snorkeling and scuba equipment can be used but WE highly recommended that Freediving specific equipment is used for this course.
For this course, divers are responsible for bringing their own equipment:
- Low Volume Mask—fluid goggles and/or nose clip optional
- Full Hooded Wetsuit (3mm for warm water locations; 5-7mm for cold water locations)
- Rubber weight belt and small number weights
- Freediving bi-fins or monofin—if using a monofin for target dives, also bring bi-fins for Safety Freediver training
- Freediving computer plus an additional waterproof timing device
- Lanyard—suggested but not required
The PFI Advanced Freediver program prices are determined by the instructor but start at $895 and include the following:
- Personalized instruction from highly trained freediving specialists, national & world record holders, and/or trainers
- 1 Instructor/Assistant : 6 student divers ratio (in-water)
- PFI Advanced Freediver Student Manual
- Pool and classroom sessions
- Open water instruction
- Hands-on experience with specialty freediving equipment
- PFI Dive Deep Shirt
If a boat is required for open water sessions at your location, a boat fee may be applied in addition to the course tuition. This fee, if applicable, will be described on specific course location pages.
See our Upcoming Courses page for more information on when and where courses are happening. You can also contact a PFI Instructor directly if you don’t see a course that fits your schedule. Not all programs are posted on this website.
(Note: Instructors may or may not use our course registration and database but all use the PFI educational system.)
After completing this course you’ll receive the following certifications:
· PFI Advanced Freediver
· PFI Supervisor Freediver
These certification cards will be mailed to your address within three weeks. The level of certification you receive depends on the skills that you successfully complete during your course. This ensures that future freediving buddies, pools, boat operators, etc. are able to accommodate your freediving level and know what level of safety you are able to provide.
REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT DETAILS
To secure your spot in a course, we need to receive your registration and either a 50% deposit or full tuition payment. Any outstanding course balance is due by the start of the course. See our course schedule to register.
By registering for a course you will also receive:
- Student Starter Kit
- Access to online portal including training tips, email access, and private PFI diving community
- Communication with staff/instructor to answer any questions ahead of time
- Access to e-learning/ pre-learning online course