COuld this be your First Professional-Level course?
Are you interested in working as a Supervisor during Freediver, Intermediate, and Advanced Freediver training? Do you want to lead guided freedives for individuals and groups by shore or boat? How about lending your skills and experience as a safety freediver for world champion freedivers during competitions and record attempts? Maybe you just want to be more self-sufficient and responsible when freediving offshore and easy ambulance or paramedic support is far away. Where can you learn these skills? What's involved in the training?
The PFI Freediver Supervisor program trains you in safety and supervision for recreational, competitive, and professional levels. This two day program will increase your skills and confidence in supervising students under the guidance of an instructor, while acting as a guide for recreational freedivers and spearfishermen, and when serving as a primary Supervisor Freediver during world championship level competitions and record events.
This course includes:
- Hands-on advanced rescue simulations
- Employing basic life support with full egress and evacuation management by land, sea, and air
- Basic Life Support Training: Complete Diver’s Alert Network First Aid for Professional Divers (BLS for adults, children, and infants, including two person CPR, use of a bag valve mask, suction, oxygen provider for injured divers, neurological assessment, hazardous marine life injuries)
- Safety and supervision procedures for competitions and advanced level training programs
- Mastering the roles of primary and secondary safety freedivers
- Learning to manage active and passive freediver retrieval system set-up and use
- Practicing searches and evacuation for missing and/or injured freedivers
- Student control
IS THIS COURSE FOR YOU?
- You are certified PFI Intermediate Freediver or higher
- You are interested in learning advanced safety management for recreational freediving, PFI courses, activities, and freediving competitions
- You are interested in participating as a professional Supervisor in PFI or PFI affiliate freediving courses, activities, or competitions
- You are fit and in good health—check the PFI Medical Form
Download and review the PFI medical form. To become an active PFI Professional, the PFI Medical Form must be signed by a physician—even if you answer "No" to all questions.
For this course, please have current DAN (Divers Alert Network) Dive Accident Insurance. If you do not already have it, you can sign up for it on their website at: www.diversalertnetwork.org.
FORMAT / DURATION – 2 DAYS
The PFI Freediver Supervisor course is held over 2 days and includes:
- 2 Classroom Sessions
- 1 Confined Water Session
- 1 Open Water Session
The schedule and layout/order of these sessions vary slightly by location. The program is typically run over two days. Click the “Location & Schedule Information” link on any particular course to find the exact schedule for that program.
- Minimum age of 18 years—16 years with parental consent
- PFI Intermediate Freediver or higher
- Be in good medical & physical condition and with above average swimming skills
QUALIFICATION OF GRADUATES
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may participate as a Safety Supervisor during freediving competitions and events or as a Supervising Freediver during PFI educational programs.
Graduates are also qualified to enroll in the PFI Assistant Instructor course.
Graduates must perform:
- Untimed swim
- Timed mask-fins-snorkel swim
- Rescue with egress
- Tread for a specific time
- Execute in accordance with PFI standards throughout all freediving and swimming capacity tests and performances
WHAT TO BRING
Divers are responsible for bringing their own equipment:
- Low volume mask
- Full wetsuit (3mm for warm water locations; 5-7mm for cold water locations)
- Rubber weight belt and small number weights
- Freediving bi-fins
- Freediving computer plus an additional waterproof timing device
- PFI Issued Course Manual
Course fees are listed in the Upcoming Courses section of this website.
Professional liability insurance is an extra charge for those interested in pursuing professional freediver responsibilities after receiving PFI Supervisor certification.
See our upcoming courses page for more information on when and where courses are happening. You can also contact a PFI Instructor directly if you don’t see a course that fits your schedule. Not all programs are posted on this website.
(Note: Instructors may or may not use our course registration and database but all use the PFI educational system.)
REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT DETAILS
To secure your spot in a course, we need to receive your registration and either a 50% deposit or full payment. Any outstanding course balance is due by the start of the course. See our course schedule to register.
By registering for a course you will also receive:
- Student Starter Kit
- Access to online portal including training tips, email access, and private PFI diving community
- Communication with staff/instructor to answer any questions ahead of time
- Access to e-learning/pre-learning online course