Learn techniques for safely hunting and gathering in the aquatic environment!
This is course for certified freedivers (PFI Freediver level or higher or equivalent other agency certification) wishing to learn the fundamentals of proper breath-hold spearfishing to increase techniques, safety & awareness, and enjoyment. The maximum depth of this course is 20m/66’.
Your PFI Ocean Hunter course will cover fundamental topics such as:
• The History of Spearfishing
• Spearfishing Equipment
• Safety and Problem Management
• Freediving Techniques for Spearfishing
• Spearfishing Techniques
• Hunting Environments
IS THIS COURSE FOR YOU?
• You’re interested in learning the fundamental techniques of spearfishing
• You’re a certified freediver
• You want to spearfish safely
• You want to improve your entry techniques while spearfishing
• You want to spearfish more successfully
Download and review the PFI medical form. If you answer YES to any question, you need to get a doctor's approval to take part in the course. Email us if you have any questions about the medical form.
FORMAT / DURATION 1-2 DAYS
This course is taught by highly trained PFI Instructors at locations all over the world. The PFI Freediver course includes:
• Classroom sessions
• 1 Confined Water sessions
• 1 Open Water sessions
The schedule and layout/order of these sessions vary slightly by location. The program is typically run over 1 to 2 days depending on the location of your course.
There are many skills which will be practiced repeatedly, simulated, and taught throughout the duration of every course. It should be noted that to pass course, a student must complete all the classroom sessions as well as the pool and ocean sessions. In accordance with participation, a student will receive a certificate based on the skills and objectives they complete. There are pool and ocean qualifications to pass in each PFI course.
By the end of the Ocean Hunter course, a student will be able to perform the following skills:
Adequate safe buddy skills, showing how to perform a rescue to PFI standards
Demonstrate consistent and safe handling of a speargun throughout the course
Demonstrate a 10m/33’ dive with a 30 second hang.
Attend all classroom teaching sessions
Complete all quizzes in manual
Complete pre-learning quiz before class
Pass final with 80 percent or more
Watermanship & Stamina
Recovery Breathing and Coaching
Confined Water Skills
Recovery breathing and coaching (hook breathing)
Six target constant ballast dives reaching minimum 10m/33 feet
Emergency rescue and problem management (rescue scenarios)
Managing a LMC and blackout on surface and underwater blackout
• Certified PFI Freediver level or higher (Equivalent certification from other agencies recognized)
• Good health and fitness–see PFI Medical Form
• 16 years of age or 10 years of age with guardian present
WHAT TO BRING:
Basic snorkeling or scuba type equipment can be used but we highly recommend using Freediving specific gear. DO NOT BRING ANY SPEARGUNS OR POLESPEARS
For this course, each diver is responsible for bringing his or her own equipment:
• Mask, snorkel, fins
• Full wetsuit (3mm for warm water locations; 5-7mm for cold water locations)
• Rubber weight belt and small number weights
• Timing device or Freedive Computer
PFI Freediver course prices vary by location and instructor but start at $200. The tuition price covers the following:
• Personalized instruction from highly trained freediving specialists, national and world record holders, and/or trainer
• 1 instructor/assistant to 5 student divers ratio
• PFI Freediver student manual & workbook
• Pool & classroom sessions
• Open water instruction
• PFI T-Shirt—varies by instructor (not always included)
• Certification card
If a boat is required for open water sessions at your location, a boat fee may be required in addition to the course tuition. This fee, if applicable, will be described on specific course location pages.
See our upcoming courses page for more information on when and where courses are happening. You can also contact a PFI Instructor directly if you don’t see a course that fits your schedule. Not all programs are posted on this website.
(Note: Instructors may or may not use our course registration and database but all use the PFI educational system.)
REGISTRATION AND PAYMENT DETAILS
To secure your spot in a course, we need to receive your registration and either a 50% deposit or full payment. Any outstanding course balance is due by the start of the course. See our course schedule to register.
By registering for a course, you will also receive:
Access to online portal including training tips, email access, and private PFI diving community
Communication with staff/ instructor to answer any questions ahead of time
Access to e-learning / pre-learning online course