Learn essential safety and problem management skills for apnea training!
The PFI Safe Buddy program is designed to educate uncertified Freedivers, and aquatic minded persons, in the Safety and rescue techniques necessary for Breath-holding. This program will help to increase safety awareness during recreational breath-holding/freediving activities. This course does not include any instruction on increasing Freediving performances or improving personal freediving technique. This course teaches:
- Safety and Problem Management for Apnea Training
- Near Blackout and Blackout Management
Is this course for you?
- You are interested in learning how to provide essential safety supervision for apnea and freedive training
- You’re an aquatic professional (lifeguard, rescue swimmer, etc.) who needs to understand freediving, its safety implications, and how to manage them
Format/Duration –1/2 Day
The Safe Buddy course is a half-day program, consisting of:
- 2-hour Classroom session, focused on knowledge development.
- 2-hour Confined Water session, practicing rescue and safety techniques for breath-holding.
There is no Open-Water training in this course.
The schedule and layout/order of these sessions varies slightly by location. The program is typically run over a 1/2 day. Click the “Location & Schedule Information” link on any particular course to find out exact schedule for that program.
- There are no prerequisites for the PFI Safe Buddy program except good health (please take a look at the PFI medical form for any contradictions).
What to bring
- Mask & Snorkel
- Timing device or Dive Computer
- Full Wetsuit—suggested, but not required
- Weight-Belt—suggested, but not required
PFI Safe Buddy course prices vary by location and instructor, but start at $40. The tuition price covers the following:
- Personalized instruction from advanced freediving specialists, national & world record holders & trainers,
- Knowledge Development Classroom Session
- Skills Development Confined Water Session
See our upcoming courses page for more information on when and where courses are happening. You can also contact a PFI Instructor directly if you don’t see a course that fits your schedule. Not all programs are posted on this website.
Registration and Payment Details
To secure your spot in a course, we need to receive your registration and either a 50% deposit or full payment. Any outstanding course balance is due by the start of the course. See our course schedule to register.