Learn to freedive down to a maximum depth of 40m/132 feet!
The PFI Intermediate Freediver course instructs competent and comfortable freedivers in essential safety and problem management for breath-hold diving, with a high emphasis on proper technique development. This program also includes details on training and equipment for diving to depths of 40 meters/132 feet. Instructors will thoroughly cover the following topics:
- Intermediate Safety and Buddy Procedures
- Proper Ventilation for Gas Saturation and Volume
- Equipment for Performance Freediving
- Psychological Aspects of Freediving
- Detailed Physics and Physiology of Freediving
- Confined-Water Static Apnea Development
- Open-Water Constant Ballast Development
- Techniques for Intermediate Freediving
Is this course for you?
- You have basic experience in Scuba, Freediving and/or Spearfishing
- You’re interested in freediving in the 25-40m/80-132 feet range
- You’d like to learn to hold your breath between 3-5 minutes!
- You’re not sure of extended freediving physiology or the physics that affect you during your freedives and want to know the details
- You want to learn how to deep dive Safely
Download and review the PFI medical form. If you say YES to any questions you need to get doctors approval to take part in the course. Email email@example.com if you have any questions about the medical form.
Format / Duration – 4-Days
This course is taught by highly trained PFI Instructors at locations all over the world. The PFI Intermediate Freediver course includes:
- Classroom Sessions
- 2 Confined-Water sessions
- 3 Open-Water sessions
The schedule and layout/order of these sessions varies slightly by location. The program is typically run over 4 days. Click the “Location & Schedule Information” link on any particular course to find out exact schedule for that program.
- Basic Freediver or equivalent experience with Freediving, spearfishing or scuba diving (general comfort in the water)
- You’re comfortable with basic freediving and achieve depths anywhere from 6–30m/20–99 feet with relative comfort
- You have a breath-hold time of around 1 minute or longer
- Good health and fitness—check the PFI Medical Form
- 12 years of age with guardian permission
- Constant Ballast (unassisted freedive) of 6 meters / 20 feet
What to bring
For this course, each diver is responsible for bringing his or her own equipment
- Mask & Snorkel
- Full Wetsuit (3mm for warm-water locations; 5-7mm for cold-water locations)
- Timing device or Dive Computer
PFI Intermediate Freediver course prices vary by location and instructor, but start at $695. The tuition price covers the following:
- Personalized instruction from highly trained freediving specialists, national & world record holders and/or trainer
- 1 Instructor/Assistant : 5 student divers ratio (in-water)
- ‘Intermediate Freediver Student Manual’
- Classroom Sessions with detailed knowledge development taught by freediving experts
- Confined-Water Sessions
- Open-Water Sessions
- Hands-on experience with specialty freediving equipment
- PFI T-Shirt—varies with instructor
- Certification card
If a boat is required for Open-Water sessions at your location, a Boat Fee may be applied in addition to the course tuition. This fee, if applicable, will be described on specific course-location pages.
See our upcoming courses page for more information on when and where courses are happening. You can also contact a PFI Instructor directly if you don’t see a course that fits your schedule. Not all programs are posted on this website.
Registration and Payment Details
To secure your spot in a course, we need to receive your registration and either a 50% deposit or full payment. Any outstanding course balance is due by the start of the course. See our course schedule to register.