Learn to freedive down to a maximum depth of 60m/198 feet!
The PFI Advanced Freediver instructs competent and comfortable freedivers, who have successfully achieved the PFI Intermediate Freediver certification. The course teaches advanced safety and problem management with a high emphasis on advanced and competitive Freediving techniques, training and equipment for freedives as deep as 60m/198 feet. You will also earn Divers Alert Network (DAN) Diving Emergency Management Provider certifications, which include First Aid, CPR, Oxygen administration and more. Divers will also learn how to develop training programs to better their own physical and mental performance for deep freediving.
- Safety and Buddy Procedures for Advanced Freediving
- Equipment for Advanced Freediving & Competitions
- Psychological Aspects of Advanced Freediving & Competitive Freediving
- Land & Confined-Water Training and Evaluation Programs
- Freediving Competition Standards & Procedures
- Advanced Static Apnea
- Advanced Dynamic Apnea (depending on location)
- Open Water Constant Ballast Development & Training (60m maximum depth)
- DAN DEMP (O2 Administration, First Aid for Hazardous Marine Life Injuries, AED, On-site Neurological Assessment for Divers, and Basic Life Support)
Is this course for you?
- You’re an experienced comfortable freediver and have completed the PFI Intermediate Freediver course
- You’re interested in a program with a high level of focus on technique development and open water constant ballast training
- You want to learn advanced level training programs and have a desire to train in a safe, and highly supervised, environment
- You’re interested in freediving competition strategies and procedures are important to help you become a proficient freediver, or competitor.
If so, this is the course for you!
Download and review the PFI medical form. If you say YES to any questions you need to get doctors approval to take part in the course. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the medical form.
For this course, please have current DAN (Divers Alert Network) Dive Accident Insurance. If you do not have it already, you can sign up for it on their website at: www.diversalertnetwork.org
Format / Duration – 6-Days
PFI Advanced Freediver is held over 6-days and includes:
- 4 classroom sessions
- 2-3 pool sessions
- 4-5 open water sessions
The schedule and layout/order of these sessions varies slightly by location. The program is typically run over 6 days. Click the “Location & Schedule Information” link on any particular course to find out exact schedule for that program.
- PFI Intermediate Freediver certification
- You’re comfortable with intermediate level freediving depths, anywhere from 25–40m/82–132 feet with relative comfort
- You have a static breath-hold time of around 3 minutes or longer
- Good health and fitness—check the PFI Medical Form
- 16 years of age with guardian permission
What to bring
For this course, each diver is responsible for bringing his or her own equipment
- Low Volume Mask—you may bring fluid goggles and a nose clip as well if you have them, but they’re not required
- Full Wetsuit (3mm for warm-water locations; 5-7mm for cold-water locations)
- Freediving Bi-fins or Monofin
- Timing device and Dive Computer
- Lanyard—suggested but not required
The PFI Advanced Freediver programs starts at $895.00 and includes the following:
- Personalized instruction from highly trained freediving specialists, national & world record holders and/or trainer
- 1 Instructor/Assistant : 5 student divers ratio (in-water)
- PFI Advanced Freediver Student Manual
- Pool and Classroom Sessions
- Open Water Instruction
- Hands-on experience with specialty freediving equipment
- PFI Advanced Freediver Shirt—varies with instructor
- DAN DEMP certification course and materials
If a boat is required for Open-Water sessions at your location, a Boat Fee may be applied in addition to the course tuition. This fee, if applicable, will be described on specific course-location pages.
See our upcoming courses page for more information on when and where courses are happening. You can also contact a PFI Instructor directly if you don’t see a course that fits your schedule. Not all programs are posted on this website.
After completing this course you’ll receive the following certifications:
- PFI Advanced Freediver
- PFI Safety Supervisor
- DAN Diver Emergency Management Provider
These certification cards will be mailed to your address within about three weeks. The level of certification you receive depends on the skills that you successfully complete during your course. This insures that future freediving buddies, pools, boat operators, etc. are able to accommodate your freediving level and know what level of safety you are able to provide.
Registration and Payment Details
To secure your spot in a course, we need to receive your registration and either a 50% deposit or full tuition payment. Any outstanding course balance is due by the start of the course. See our course schedule to register.