PFI Safety Supervisor
First Professional-Level course!
Are you interested in working as a supervisor during Freediver, Intermediate and Advanced Freediver training? Leading guided freedives with individuals and groups by shore or boat? What about lending your skills and experience as a safety freediver for world champion freedivers for competitions and records? Maybe you just want to be more self-sufficient and responsible when spearfishing and freediving offshore and away from easy ambulance or paramedic support? Where do you get these skills and what’s involved in the training?
The PFI Safety Supervisor Freediver program trains you in the areas of safety and supervision at both a recreational, competitive, and professional level. This three day program will increase your skills and confidence to supervise students in training situations under the guidance of an instructor, act as a guide with recreational freedivers and spearfishermen, or as a primary safety freediver during world championship level competitions or record events. Training includes:
• Hands-on advanced rescue simulations
• Employing basic life support with full egress and evacuation management by land, sea and air
• Basic Life Support training and DAN certification including CPR, O2 administration, First Aid, and how to use AED.
• Safety and supervision procedures for competitions and advanced level training programs
• Learn the roles of primary and secondary safety freedivers
• Learn to manage active and passive freediver retrieval system set-up and use
• Practice searches and evacuation for missing and/or injured freedivers
Is this course for you?
• You are certified PFI Intermediate Freediver, or higher
• You are interested in learning advanced safety management for recreational diving, PFI courses, activities, and freediving competitions
• You are interested in participating as a professional supervisor in PFI or affiliate freediving courses, activities, or competitions
• Good Health and Fitness—check the PFI Medical Form
Download and review the PFI medical form. To become an active PFI Professional, the PFI Medical Form must be signed by a physician—even if all questions on the form answer ‘no’
For this course, please have current DAN (Divers Alert Network) Dive Accident Insurance. If you do not have it already, you can sign up for it on their website at: www.diversalertnetwork.org
Format / Duration – 3-Days
The PFI Assistant Freediver Instructor course is held over four days and includes:
• 3 Classroom Sessions
• 3 Confined Water Sessions
• 3 Open Water Sessions
The schedule and layout/order of these sessions varies slightly by location. The program is typically run over 4 days. Click the “Location & Schedule Information” link on any particular course to find out exact schedule for that program.
• Minimum age of 18 years—16 years with parental consent
• PFI Intermediate Freediver or higher
• Up to date (within 2 years) CPR, First Aid, O2 Administration, and AED certifications—documentation required
• Be in good medical & physical condition and with above average swimming skills
Physician signature is required on PFI medical form, even if all questions answer ‘no’, to become an active Performance Freediving International instructor
Qualification of Graduates
Upon successful completion of this course, graduates may participate as a safety freediver during freediving competitions and events, or as a supervising freediver during educational programs.
Graduates are also qualified to enroll in the PFI Assistant Instructor course.
What to bring
For this course, each diver is responsible for bringing his or her own equipment
• Low Volume Mask
• Full Wetsuit (3mm for warm-water locations; 5-7mm for cold-water locations)
• Freediving Bi-fins
• Timing device and Dive Computer
• PFI Issued Course Manual
The cost of the PFI Safety Supervisor programs starts at $445.
Annual PFI Membership and Witherspoon & Associates Professional liability insurance is an extra charge for those interested in pursuing professional freediver responsibilities after receiving PFI Safety Supervisor certification.
See our upcoming courses page for more information on when and where courses are happening. You can also contact a PFI Instructor directly if you don’t see a course that fits your schedule. Not all programs are posted on this website.
Registration and Payment Details
To secure your spot in a course, we need to receive your registration and either a 50% deposit or full payment. Any outstanding course balance is due by the start of the course. See our course schedule to register.