PFI Freediver Instructor Exam
Become a PFI Instructor! Teach your own Freediving courses!
The PFI Freediver Instructor course is for avid freedivers who have successfully achieved the PFI Assistant Instructor certification. This certification is for individuals wishing to teach PFI freedive training programs as a lead Instructor.
- Teaching techniques to present and manage student learning Classroom, Confined Water, and Open Water Environments
- Open Water Rig components and assembly
- Professional level Safety and problem management for assisting student emergencies
- PFI Instructor Candidate presentations and microteaching
- Developing lesson plans for Classroom, Confined Water, and Open Water Sessions
Is this course for you?
- You are certified PFI Assistant Freediver Instructor
- You are interested in learning and sharing valuable freediving techniques to others
- You are interested in teaching as a lead Instructor in PFI, or affiliate, Freediver courses
- Good Health and Fitness—check the PFI Medical Form
If so, this is the course for you!
Download and review the PFI medical form. To become an active PFI Professional, the PFI Medical Form must be signed by a physician—even if all questions on the form answer ‘no’
For this course, please have current DAN (Divers Alert Network) Dive Accident Insurance. If you do not have it already, you can sign up for it on their website at: www.diversalertnetwork.org
Format / Duration – 2-Days
The PFI Freediver Instructor course is held over two days and includes:
- Theory Exams
- Academic Presentations
- Confined Water Presentations
- Open Water Presentations
The schedule and layout/order of these sessions varies slightly by location. The program is typically run over 2 days. Click the “Location & Schedule Information” link on any particular course to find out exact schedule for that program.
- Minimum age of 21 years
- PFI Assistant Freediver Instructor certification
- Up to date (within 2 years) CPR, First Aid, O2 Administration, and AED certifications—documentation required
- Be in good medical & physical condition and with above average swimming skills
Physician signature is required on PFI medical form, even if all questions answer ‘no’, to become an active Performance Freediving International instructor
Qualification of Graduates
Upon successful completion of PFI Freediver Instructor, graduates may participate as a lead Instructor in PFI Headquarters’, or self-organized, PFI freediving courses and activities and can teach the following PFI programs: Safe Buddy, Snorkeler, Freediver and related Coaching and Open Line Sessions.
To receive PFI Freediver Instructor certification, one must:
- Pass all academic knowledge quizzes and exams
- Demonstrate mastery and understanding of Basic Instructor level supervision skills
- Demonstrate mastery in confined water & open water skills
- Demonstrate instructor level rescue and egress skills Demonstrate safe and responsible diving practices
- Present an academic presentation within the outlines of a passing score
- Present a confined water & a open water teaching presentation within the outlines of a passing score.
What to bring
For this course, each diver is responsible for bringing his or her own equipment
- Low Volume Mask
- Full Wetsuit (3mm for warm-water locations; 5-7mm for cold-water locations)
- Freediving Bi-fins
- Timing device and Dive Computer
- PFI Issued Course Manual
The PFI Freediver Instructor course costs start at $745.
Performance Freediving International Professional Membership and Witherspoon & Associates Professional liability insurance is an extra charge for those interested in teaching freediving professionally after receiving Assistant Instructor certification.
See our upcoming courses page for more information on when and where courses are happening. You can also contact a PFI Instructor directly if you don’t see a course that fits your schedule. Not all programs are posted on this website.
Registration and Payment Details
To secure your spot in a course, we need to receive your registration and either a 50% deposit or full payment. Any outstanding course balance is due by the start of the course. See our course schedule